Sunday, March 17, 2013

Me and my friends

I thought it would be fun to throw in some variety, now that the tone and purpose of this site has been established. So I present to you...

Dumb Shit Hardcore Kids Say:

offender: "I didn't even start drinking until I was in my 20's. Me and my friends didn't drink or do drugs when we were younger."

DSASKS: "Oh, when you were a hardcore kid?"

offender:  (laugh) "Yeah. Yeah, when I was a hardcore kid."

DSASKS: "And you were straight-edge."

offender: "Not -- not straight-edge. We didn't consider ourselves straight-edge or use the term straight-edge. Me and my friends just believed we didn't need drugs and alcohol to have fun."


This person is annoyed with me because he likes to think of his former lifestyle as an independent decision. I apparently am one of those people who doesn't "get it", because I apparently think in paradigms, like people tend to do. Silly me.

I mean, honestly. How can a person possibly be drug-and-alcohol-free as a personal lifestyle choice, and not as part of a broader, subscriptive group decision?

Oh, how 'bout like this: by not opening the statement with "me and my friends".

(Especially when you're only friends with whom you're friends with because they listen to the same kind of music as you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment